“Physical education for the body to be effective must be rigorous and detailed, far sighted and methodological. This will be translated into habits. These habits should be controlled and disciplined, while remaining flexible enough to adapt themselves to circumstances and to the needs of growth and development of the being.”
At Austhorpe Primary School, we recognise the importance of PE and sport and the role it plays in promoting healthy lifestyles.
Our PE curriculum provides all children with high quality PE and sport sessions.
It is our vision for every pupil to succeed and achieve their potential as well as to lead physically active lifestyles.
We strive to inspire our pupils through fun and engaging PE lessons that are enjoyable, challenging and accessible to all.
Children appreciate the benefits of a healthy and physically active lifestyle. Through PE, we will provide opportunities for pupils to develop values and transferrable life skills such as fairness and respect as well as providing them with opportunities to take part in competitive sport.
The School’s aims for Physical Education are to:
- Develop skilful use of the body, the ability to remember, repeat and refine actions and to perform them with increasing control, co-ordination and fluency [acquiring and developing].
- Develop an increasing ability to select, link and apply skills, tactics and compositional ideas [selecting and applying].
- Improve observation skills and the ability to describe and make simple judgements on their own and others work, and to use their observations and judgements to improve performance [improving and evaluating].
- Develop an understanding of the effects of exercise on the body, and an appreciation of the value of safe exercising [knowledge and understanding of fitness and health].
- Develop the ability to work independently, and communicate with and respond positively towards others [working alone and with others].
- Promote an understanding of safe practice, and develop a sense of responsibility towards their own and others’ safety and well-being [applying safety principles].
- Understand the importance of leading healthy, active lives.
Clubs and Competitions
All Austhorpe Primary School children are invited to Mr Fawcett’s PE and Sports clubs.
Before school PE and Sports clubs start at 8.30 am (in the playground or school hall – depending on weather conditions).
After school we run a wide variety of PE and sports clubs, including, gymnastics, creative movement, hockey, football, rugby, cricket and mulitsports. We work closely with our partners at Flex Dance and GT Sports.
We also take part in competitions through the year. These include inter-school and intra-school competitions.
Through Physical Education and Sport every child is given the opportunities to SHINE:
Success – acquire new knowledge and skills
Healthy and Happy – life-long habits and learning
Inclusion – every child involved
Nurture – develop physical ability
Enrichment – including clubs and competitions